8 Signs You May Have Black Mold in Your Home
Posted in Uncategorized on January 14, 2019.
Toxic black mold is an incredibly dangerous health hazard that can affect many homes. Black mold can have temporary and long-term effects on a family’s health and it is vital for all Americans to know the warning signs of black mold exposure. In some cases, it may be possible to fix the issue with minimal expense, but large mold growths may require more extensive repairs or even renovation.
Here are 8 signs you may have black mold in your home:
If you seem to suffer a spike in your allergy-related symptoms at home, this could be a sign that your home has mold growing somewhere inside it. Mold spores can aggravate the respiratory system and cause symptoms similar to seasonal allergies such as eye irritation, runny nose, nasal congestion, and sneezing.
Mold exposure can lead to a chronic cough and chest congestion. People who have immune system disorders, compromised immune systems, or certain lung diseases are at increased risk of illness from mold exposure.
If you can smell mold in your home, you most likely have it growing somewhere even if you cannot see it. If you can smell mold it is crucial to take immediate action; when you can smell it, you have probably already inhaled spores.
Many people are naturally allergic to mold and suffer skin rashes from exposure to spores. However, even people without acute allergies to mold can still experience painful and irritating rashes. These rashes can lead to swelling and inflammation as well as hives.
Mold exposure takes a toll on the human body and someone exposed to toxic black mold will have feelings of weakness or chronic fatigue. If you notice that these feelings subside when you leave the home or sit near a source of fresh air, take this as a sign of mold contamination in your home.
Toxic mold exposure can cause problems with focus and concentration. Over time, mold exposure can even lead to cognitive issues and memory loss. Laboratory experiments with mice reported that anxiety and memory loss were common after just three weeks of exposure.
Stains and Discoloration
Mold often grows inside of walls and other damp spots in a building. Over time, this will cause discoloration or even staining on walls, ceilings, and floors. A professional can help determine the cause of stains or discoloration on your home’s surfaces.
Mold thrives in warm, damp environments. If you notice condensation on glass and metal throughout your home, this could be a sign of high humidity and a perfect incubator for black mold.
If you notice any of these warning signs, address your health concerns first and then ensure the other members of your household receive medical attention if needed. Once you positively identify black mold growth in your home it is no longer safe to remain in the home until you fix the issue.
It is possible to clean black mold if it has only affected a small area of your home, but it is very important to ensure the mold has not spread to places you cannot see. For example, if you have a black mold stain on a basement wall, it is worth hiring someone who can check inside the wall to ensure there is no interior mold growth instead of simply cleaning the surface and hoping the issue is resolved.
If black mold affects a large area of your home, you may need to do some intense repairs and renovations. Although this process can be expensive, it is vital to ensure that black mold growth does not continue unchecked. A few renovations, a thorough inspection, and tightening up the humidity issues in your home can help resolve a mold growth problem and prevent more mold from growing in the future. If you’re unsure how to identify black mold in your home, visit online resources on black mold for more information.
Consider speaking with an Attorney
If you’ve alerted your landlord about black mold and nothing has been done to fix the issue, consider discussing the details of your case with an experienced personal injury attorney.